From: Mike Saenz [mailto:msaenz@mve-architects.com]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 9:45 AM
To: Wacky Wack; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; bearvault
Subject: Was: Bear cannisters, etc. Now:BearVault Not Allowed In SEKI

Just got back from my Rae Lakes Loop Hike. I'll let y`all know the
details as soon as I get through the 400+ e-mails and 150+ voice
messages.....

BUT-

Upon arrival at the trailhead (Road's End), I was informed that the
BearVault cans are now not allowed in SEKI. The Vidette Meadow bear has
now popped over 20 BearVault cans...

At the Ranger shack, they're lending Garcia cans for free to BearVault
owners.

We didn't encounter a single bear in seven days (there WAS plenty of
bear "evidence" around). We found and used the bear boxes that were at
virtually every campsite.

BearVault- I purchased my BV300 specifically for this trip. And now
they're not allowed at SEKI, and more than one Ranger familiar with the
Vidette situation indicated that SIBBG may revoke BearVault approval (I
just got back and have not researched or confirmed this).
My question to BearVault: If SIBBG revokes approval, will BearVault
offer refunds?

I noticed that BearVault.com has a notice dated 8/20 regarding this
issue. The Rangers in SEKI are not "requesting" that hikers not use
BearVaults. I didn't have a choice. They made us transfer everything
from our BearVaults into the Garcia cans before we started our hike.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m