[pct-l] Spinnaker Fabric

I made the reference. The spinnaker fabric I use (and this is my super-secret
source) comes from

http://www.cubenfiber.com/

The fabric I use is known as CN1K.08 and I am pretty sure is lighter than the
spinnaker fabric used by Gossamer Gear. Since it is not siliconized you can use
adhesives on it rather than sewing it--which means (ta-da): no seam seal! That
eliminates a really messy and weight-adding step, as well as eliminating the
need for a sewing machine.

Cuben spinnaker fabric comes in 48" widths and lengths of 30 feet or more. You
can buy "ends" for less per square yard than you can full length pieces, and
that's what I do. It's fairly expensive. Last time I bought any (a year or two
ago) it was about $14/lineal yard (48" width).

It comes in various weights, but I've only ever used the lightest weight stuff.
It is surprisingly strong, has almost no stretch, and is completely waterproof.
If I remember correctly, the CN1K.08 weighs about 0.6 ozs/square (English) yard
(36"x36"). Because it consists of a layer of cross-laid fiber sandwiched between
two layers of very thin polyester film, it is pretty hard to tear.

I don't sail, but I discovered during my research that spinnaker makers and
ultralight hikers share some requirements for fabric: high strength, water/wind
proof, light weight, easy fabrication of complex shapes. It's amazing how far
they've come since the days of sewing canvas sails.

--Steve