[pct-l] River Claims Victim

Seems in general that how "safe" an environment is perceived to be may not
have much to do with how likely you are to be killed in it!

Apparently there's significantly more people killed in hospital accidents
than car accidents.  I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read on a credible
report that it was four times as many.  So, 50,000 each year in cars,
200,000 each year in hospitals (specifically from accidents i.e. drug
mistakes) and .... how many on the trails?

Stats are pretty pointless unless they're interpreted correctly.  Anybody
know how to adjust these statistics to take into account the number of
people in the Sierras each year?  What percentage of us die out in the woods
versus percentage of the national population killed in car accidents?

Paul