[pct-l] Backpacking speed records

The beauty of backpacking speed records is that I
honestly believe they will not really be known for the
most part. Some like the PCT and JMT are the
exception, though. I honestly don't think anyone knows
the "record" for backpacking the AT, LT, and CT.
Claiming the backpacking recorid is something
different, of course.  Naturally, the CDT has no fixed
trail so a record will probably never truly be set.
[1]

Many backpackers will backpack for the simple joy of
it. Suspect there are people out there who set records
and don't bother mentioning it. Mind you, I don't
think there is anything wrong with trying to set
records...I think just due to the nature of the
backpacking community that it is hard to get a handle
on what is a new record.

Runners tend to more competitive (not a bad thing mind
you) due to the nature of the sport. Most backpackers
do not consider themselves atheletes and just hike.
All about perspective.

Many backpackers consider themselves outdoor people
who happen to do an athletic endurance activity. Most
ultra people consider themselves endurance atheletes
who happen to enjoy the outdoors. That is why I
honestly think most achievements in the backpacking
world are under reported.  Any coincidence that most
of the records in the backpacking world are now being
reported as outdoor endurance sports (Adventure
racing, ultra runnin, and EcoChallenge type stuff) in
general increase in popularity?

Anyway, just a bit of rambling thoughts.

Oh yes found this part funny:
****************
"I knew the average time to hike the John Muir Trail
was 21 days, but most people take much longer,"
Metzger said. "When they said 14 days, that started
the whole thing for me, wanting to set a speed record
for an unsupported backpacker on the John Muir Trail."

Metzger's thinking was, if the British Marines can
cover it in 14 days . . . "
***********

A friend of mine just did the JMT as her first long
hike. 10 days! Not bad.. She did it faster than the
Marines! :)

[1] I once attended a talk on "endurance sports". The
speaker said someone did the CDT in record time. I was
like "Which route? The CDTA route? The CDTS route?
Cross coutry and off trail?". The look on this
person's face was a bit perplexed. :)

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com