[pct-l] Bear stories

Good evening, Wayne,

I seem to remember a similar event from years back.  It was my fondest wish
to see a grizzly bear in the wild, so finally I hiked into known grizzly
habitat.   I hiked up a beautiful trail into a steep, narrow canyon when I
heard the most gosh-awful commotion behind me.  When I turned around, I got
my wish.  There, clamoring out of the forest a short distance away, was the
largest, fiercest grizzly bear I could imagine.  Instantly, the bear let out
a terrible roar and charged after me.

I turned and ran but, of course, it was hopeless.  No man can out-run a
bear, but I tried.  I ran, and ran, and ran, until my heart was about to
burst, but the bear was easily gaining.  Finally, the trail ended at the
head of the canyon with steep cliffs all around.  I was cornered and it was
hopeless, but in desperation I cast my eyes to the heavens and yelled, "OH
God, please give this bear religion!"

What happened next is hard to believe, because I was granted my second wish
of the day.  Lightening flashed, thunder rolled, the ground shook, and a
very surprised bear stopped in his tracks.  Slowly, a look of serene grace
came over the bear's face as he knelt right in front of me. The bear then
folded his great, shaggy paws and said a prayer,  "Dear Lord:  For this food
I am about to receive, I am truly grateful."

My memory isn't as good as it used to be so if that isn't true, it aught to
be.

Steel-Eye