[pct-l] What attracts Bears

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deems" <losthiker@sisqtel.net>

> Catch some fish, clean them on the bank and toss the remains into the
> lake, then fry them up in camp late at nite.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ON my SOBO section hike this summer I met my friend Deniece at Steven's Pass
and she hiked with me to Snoqualmie.  The first night out of Steven's Pass
we walked a couple hundred yards down the trail and cooked, and then another
couple hundred to clean up.  It felt like overkill.  Did it anyway.

We got back to camp and Stick Girl and Bump )?_ were getting water.  20
minutes later three guys, Oh God, Gizmo and Donkey, cooked and ate 40' from
our camp on the other side of rocks from us.  They didn't know we were
there.  We could smell their food...

I saw six black bears between Canada and Santiam Pass, and one giant grizzly
poop, two inchs across by about two feet long two days south of Manning.  I
poked the poop with my hiking pole and it hadn't developed a "skin" yet.  I
poked a lot of poop, and this was about as fresh as it came.  I walked for
an hour "singing in the rain, actually, snow..."  I saw all the bears before
eight AM.

Jeff Olson
Santa Rosa, CA