[pct-l] More Musings on Bears and What Attracts Them

Check out Stephen Herrero's book, Bear Attacks, particularly p.
124-125.  The "answer" in brief.

1.  Herrero says he's found no correlation, in his analysis of
grizzly bear attacks, between the attack and menstrual cycle.
Although he doesn't say it specifically, I assume from the book as a
whole that also applies to black bears or he would have said so.

2.  The data is too incomplete to draw definite conclusions.

3. In a1983 study involving captive polar bears, menstrual blood
(i.e. used tampons) "elicited maximal interest" from the polar
bears.  Other animal odors and female non-menstrual blood elicited
minimal interest.

4.  Herrero appears reluctant to draw a direct connection between the
reaction of a captive polar bear and a wild bear of another species
and between exposure to menstrual blood and a menstruating female.

5.  Herrero suggests that internal tampons may be safer than external
pads.

Lest you conclude that females are at a great disadvantage in bear
country, please recall this famous Herrero quote relating to his
analysis of a black bear attack:

"This is a clear example of the general type of  incident in which a
black bear sees a person and decides to try to kill and eat its
victim."'

Now isn't that comforting?