[pct-l] Bear cannisters, etc.

Wacky Wack Wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am planning a JMT hike in september, but I have never hiked through areas with high bear activity, and Yosemite's reputation naturally makes me a bit apprehensive.

Has anyone rented a canister from the park service there?  Can you tell me please how wide its opening is, so I can plan for what food to bring?  What do you do with things like cooking pots and thebackpack - things that may potentially smell of food, although there is none inside.  I would like to keep them in my tent because I wouldn't want the backpack to remain outside, even on a tree.
Would you recommend to get bear-spray?  If so, what brand/where to get it?  And lastly, if you can shed any light on how to bring a stove on an airplane, it would be great.  Last time I tried this, it was confiscated from me by the airline.

Any other tips on the area are appreciated and welcome!

Dear WackyWack,
Please don't take offense at this, but since it is already September 1st,I can only hope that you are talking about hiking in September 2006.  Ifnot, then you are probably not goin to enjoy your trip very much.  You are askingquestions that should have been asked many months ago.  These questions arethe very basic questions needed to even begin planning a trip along the JMT.