From: "Wacky Wack" <w_wack@yahoo.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:08 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Bear cannisters, etc.

> Hi everyone!
>
> I am planning a JMT hike in september, but I have never hiked through
areas with high bear activity, and Yosemite's reputation naturally makes me
a bit apprehensive.

> Has anyone rented a canister from the park service there?  Can you tell me
please how wide its opening is, so I can plan for what food to bring?  What
do you do with things like cooking pots and the backpack - things that may
potentially smell of food, although there is none inside.  I would like to
keep them in my tent because I wouldn't want the backpack to remain outside,
even on a tree.

> Would you recommend to get bear-spray?  If so, what brand/where to get it?
And lastly, if you can shed any light on how to bring a stove on an
airplane, it would be great.  Last time I tried this, it was confiscated
from me by the airline.