[pct-l] 3 days food?

Hi Kraig,
 I'm guessing that you haven't done this much before, but forgive me if I
misread and this is old hat to you. I first recommend you check out
something like "Walking Softly in the Wilderness"<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
by John Hart or some similar general book on backpacking (your local library
should have a copy). There, you'll find excellent rocommendations on what
types and quantities of food to take as well as other essential
considerations for planning a trip. You don't have to get too elaborate, but
preparation will make all the difference between a gruelling ordeal and a
spiritual journey.
 That said, I'd recommend at least getting an Esbit stove, and an aluminum
pot to boil water in. The Esbit is a little $10 solid-fuel stove which will
let you boil water,
and greatly increase your food options.
 As far as quantity goes, just plan for a little more than you'd normally
eat in a day
and then take one extra day's food just in case. The nice thing about going
for three to four days is that you can take more or less 'normal' foods:
fresh fruits and vegetables, single serving cheese packets, salami - all
stuff you can get at the grocery store, but which may be too heavy or
perishable for longer trips. Add to that granola, dried fruits, jerky,
protein bars, instant oatmeal, instant soups (if you decide to take a
stove), and you can plan almost as if you were at home.
 But really, the best thing to do is spend a few hours with a good book on
the subject and make sure you've got all the basics covered. The romance of
'just taking off' can quickly fade if you get cold, wet, dehydrated or lost.
 Hope this helps and have a great trip,
Clint