[pct-l] Scariest Sound

In a message dated 8/23/2005 2:14:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ftclp@uaf.edu
writes:

> Scariest sound: about 50 cows with bells running through my camp just
> south of Oregon border at about 3 am.  I could see the headlines "solo
> hiker stomped by musical cows".

Good one.

I was camping alone someplace in Oregon when about 5:00 in the morning
something loud with hoofs came running by and stopped, not far from my tent.  The
next sounds were like it was moving dead trees or logs around.

I "calmly" lit up a cigarette and it split.  My guess was that it was a bull
elk, but I never did open up my tent to see.  I finished my cig, rolled over
and went back to sleep for a couple more hours.

Sly