[pct-l] JMT heading South

Last year I started Sept 7 and ended at Whitney Portal Sept 22nd. Weather for
the first half was 75-83F daytime, 32-38F at night (I camped high). The second
half I had a light snowstorm (with strong winds) for a couple of days--daytime
temps were 30-40F and  nighttime temps between 25 and 32F. I had an 8x12' tarp
which was fine. No bugs except at low elevations (MTR) and sometimes ants -- I
had a bug net to sleep in for that. No rain, no lightning, very few people,
plenty of water (2L container would probably be adequate).

I was usually hiking in plenty of light by 7am, I usually finished my day at
2pm, but one day finished at 5pm. It was still light, but a lot of the warmth
was gone so it made for a chilly cleanup in a stream that night. Daylight was
usually gone by 6:30 or so, although it didn't really get dark until 7pm.

Can't comment on the hitching question.

In general, Sept is a fine time for the Sierras. You should be prepared for some
rain, but you probably won't see it. You might get a dusting of snow, but
usually the heavy snowfall doesn't start until October.
--Steve

P.S. Take the Mist trail from the valley if you can....a little steeper but much
more spectacular and no horse dung.