[pct-l] when to help

I have been through that area 3 times now on the PCT and can say that it is
still confusing, and often looks different.  the logging roads , even with a
very good map, are confusing and the maps are inaccurate and not up to date.
I think that it is almost impossible to meet in this area without something
happening. The road conditions are problematic and reaching a certain spot
may not be feasible in certain years. Even if both of you know the area very
well, and both have the same map, There is a possibility that something can
go wrong.

Everybody else carries food accross the entire section from BurneyFalls to
Castella.  There is a reason for this; especially since section O has a long
history of people getting lost , waylaid by brush, logging, etc.

meeting somebody on the PCT at a certain time and place, other than major
road crossings is not an exact science.  It also puts a lot of
responsibility on the Angel side.

On my thruhike, I tried slackpacking from Burney to Bartle Gap (same area on
Section O).  Only 2 of the 5 people made it that night; and we did not find
the other 3 until 11:00 the next morning.  All but one of the slackpackers,
had been driven to the meeting point at Bartle Gap and knew its location.
All the slackpackers and drivers were thruhikers and well conditioned and
knowledgeable on route finding and solo travel.

I probably would have waited a little longer before calling for help,
because I know the problems of that section.  Most experienced PCT hikers
are going to be okay, and somebody will come down the trail to help them.  I
probably would have gone to the Bridge crossing at Ash Camp and waited a few
days there, and quizzed anybody northbound.

Difficult to be an Angel.  Can't cushion yourself or the hiker from the
results of error.  Made worse by a hiker having too high an expectation and
less appreciation.

I applaud any effort that you give hikers.  Hopefully there will always be a
sense of gratitude and mystery about it.  The lessons alway arrive on time.

Goforth