[pct-l] stress fractures

Good morning, Dave,

I would be skeptical of comments by a podiatrist who claims he has treated
lots of heel stress fractures of people carrying heavy loads while wearing
trail runners.  Overall, the backpacking community is very small, and most
of them don't wear trail runners.  The number of long-distance hikers, the
ones most likely to encourage repetitive-stress fractures, is smaller yet.
Still smaller, is the group of distance hikers wearing trail runners who
carry heavy loads . you know how much we like that idea.  Among that tiny
residual group of people, those who actually experience stress fractures are
statistically insignificant.  Most podiatrists spend their time treating
Aunt Tilly's bunions, so the best bet is to find someone specializes in
sports podiatry, or one who regularly treats combat paratroopers who step
out of an airplane carrying two parachutes and 110 lbs. of gear.

There are two classic reasons offered by people who recommend stout boots
for heavy loads and rough trails.  The first is usually the boot's
additional resistance to ankle turning, and the second is a thick, stiff
sole will supposedly better protect the foot from rocks on the trail.  If
those suppositions are true, neither will decrease the risk of heel stress
fracture.  In fact, trail or running shoes typically have a far superior
foam-cushioned heel cup compared to a boot, and that cup is nicely rounded
to support the heel rather than being substantially flat like in a boot.

Far more common than stress fractures are instances of plantar fasciitis.
Do a net search on that topic and you will have hours of reading.  The good
news about plantar fasciitis . good for us, not for the podiatrist . is that
it is usually cheap and easy to fix.

Hike on ...

Steel-Eye