[pct-l] Altimeter watches, GPS

i used a timex helix abt on the pct in 2004, and i was
very happy with it. i didn't notice much drift at all.
and since the data book has altitude for every point,
it's easy to check it and reset it as necessary. i
thought it was a great watch (albeit a bit large), and
very cheap at campmor.

as for a GPS, unless you head into the sierra (or
northern cascades) when there is tons of snow and
trouble navigating (i.e. can't see the trail for long
distances), there is absolutely no reason to bring one
on the pct. you couldn't lose the trail if you wanted,
and as long as you have the guidebook to consult at
any trail junctions that are not completely clear,
you'll be fine.

i carried the data book page(s) and the guidebook
pages for the day in a ziplock bag in my pocket, and
mostly used the topos from the guidebook to follow
along my trek and to see what terrain (i.e. ups and
downs) were coming up.

unless you just love to play with high-tech gear (and
want to carry more weight), i'd leave the GPS at home.
i even sent my little compass home at warner springs
in far southern california.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs