[pct-l] Manning Park to Rainy Pass Conditions

Lookout, Mongous, Skittles, Cedar, and Recess left Manning Park on June
16 and arrived June 19 at Hwy 20 (Rainy Pass).  The views along this
section were stunning!  Snow conditions were very similar to what was
experienced in the San Jacinto and San Gorgonio mountains at the
beginning of May.  Most of the passes between the Canada-U.S. border
and Hwy 20 have some snow which was soft, but very little post-holing
was experienced.  The passes were relatively easy to traverse.  We
didn't carry ice axes.  As reported by others, the switchbacks at
Granite Pass are still mostly obscured by snow and we kicked in better
steps to get back on the trail.  The snowy bowl between Granite and
Cutthroat is steep and could be difficult if icy.  Hikers need to be
prepared for hiking in Pacific Northwest weather!  Hail, sleet, and
rain (i.e. wet and cold conditions) are possible for days at a time.
Many, many thanks to trail angels Marmot and Trail Dog for the great
barbecue at Rainy Pass which was very much appreciated by us and quite
a few other thru-hikers.  Thanks also to my husband and step-daughter
for driving up from Olympia with our resupply and great camping
company.

- Lookout