From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Terry Norton
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:02 AM
To: hiker97@aol.com; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Computers on the Trail

LOL...I hope this is in jest!  Please don't bring such a device near me on
the trail.

I am curious, would you rely on such a contraption given the rather fragile
nature of such integrated technology?  "Cannot get lost" --- HA HA HA!!! I
have seen GPS goof several times in the mountains.

A map & compass only need the earth's magnetic field and enough light to see
landmarks.  (Ok, mountains with a high iron content can cause a few
problems.)  Given that one should carry these items as a backup, why not use
them as a primary method of navigation.

cheers,
terry
(an electronics engineer that designs really cool small gadgets who prefers
to leave them at home)

On 6/21/05, hiker97@aol.com <hiker97@aol.com> wrote:
> I was thinking there should be a GPS and PCT map program that works
together, so I know in color where I am at anytime on the trail.  Cannot get
lost.  Also, I should be able to hook it up to a solar recharger unit as I
walk.  Also, I want to do my journal and down load pictures from my camera
on the device too.  Then when I get home I want to transfer everything to my
laptop.  I would think a color, relief-shaded PCT map should be on a memory
stick.  Hey, why don't you throw in a wireless phone, MP3, AM/FM radio, and
Internet connection too.  And some fun games (hiking questions, survival
questions, nature questions, PCT trail history questions, etc.) on it for
time killers at night in the tent would be nice.  Under 12 ounces too.