[pct-l] Swainson's Thrush

> Anyone else have a similar experience to a bird call or have a favorite
bird
> along the PCT?  I don't recall seeing birds or wildlife mentioned that
often
> on the list.  I always bring my binoculars and bird book when I hike.

I, too, love the Swainson's thrush call. My wife taught me to
hear it and describe it as "Cordelia! Cordelia! Cordelia!" (as
in the name of King Lear's sole loving daughter). It starts
lower and works its way higher at each "Cordelia!"

However, in the Battle of the Thrushes, I'll admit to being
even fonder of the Hermit thrush. It is harder to describe
its song, because it can sing the song twenty times running
and never sing it quite the same way twice. It starts with
a longer "tweeeee" note, followed by a quick series of
twiddly notes. Both the initial note and all the twiddles
can change pitch from one song to the next, but the song
is unmistakeable. I can sit at dusk and listen to a Hermit
thrush for a long time, with pleasure.