[pct-l] RE: Current Fuller Ridge conditions and other snow conditions

Hello all,

   I'm The Pirate and I have pulled off the trail in  Aqua Dulce, as of the
7th of June, for family business. I thought I would  bring what news I can to
the forum. There is plenty of snow still on Baden  Powell, near Wrightwood, as
of June second. We managed to make our way  up to the summit in 3 hours
kicking steps most of the way. The snow begins about  a third of the way up the
trail and continues to the top. After Baden Powell  there is a trail which runs
along the ridge line that is mainly dirt with the  occasional snow, this trail
goes past Thorpe and beyond. My group decided to  pull off at Lilly Springs but
while in Aqua Dulce we ran into ten people who  made it through to Isllip
Saddle and said that it wasn't that difficult  although some places are still a
bit dangerous due to the steepness of the  snow.

    I went through Fuller Ridge on the 23 and 24th of  May. The snow after
Saddle Junction wasn't too bad and lasted only a half mile  or so. Snow is again
a problem just before the Marion Ridge Trail and all  the way through to
Black Mountain Road. The snow is still deep in this area with  lots of post holing
late in the day, it is possible to navigate this area and we  had very little
difficulty doing so. Fuller Ridge had snow as well at the time  we went
through. We managed to make it through in 2 or 3 hours using trekking  poles and
light weight hiking boots / running shoes. While time consuming Fuller  Ridge
was not especially difficult for the three of us to get through and I  agree
with Grand Master in thinking that it should be just patchy snow at this  point.

  There is still plenty of water on the trail and I hope it lasts  until the
back of the herd makes it through. On an optimistic note I was able to  talk
to FreeBird in Aqua Dulce, he had already hiked through the High  Sierra's up
to Mt. Whitney, I believe he left Whitney on the fourth of June. He  said that
it should be possible to do them near the end of June. This  brought high hope
to all the hikers at the Saufley's while I was  there.  Please note THERE
WILL STILL BE SNOW. However he seemed to believe  there would be alternating snow
and trail walking so hikers will not be stuck in  it the whole time and
wouldn't be relegated to 10 hour 10 mile days. Free Bird  is one of four to go into
the High Sierra's so far as I know and I took  hope in his words that it
should be passable, as did the majority at the  Saufley's. There will be a group
of 15 or so folks attempting it in late June  and I wish them luck. A couple of
them will hopefully be talking to me after  they attempt it and let me know
the conditions. I will be back on the trail at  that point and I hope to make
it to a computer so I can let you all know  what they say. I just thought with
all the pessimistic talk about the High  Sierra's that folks should know there
are some who are going to  attempt it instead of flip flopping. I will make
my attempt at it  in early July and hopefully the snow won't be all that bad.
Feel free to  give me an email if you have any other questions, I will be able
to reply on the  15th and again on the 24th of this month. Cheers all and stay
safe out  there.

Teal Canady
a.k.a The Pirate
_cerceta@aol.com_ (mailto:cerceta@aol.com)