[pct-l] Long-Distance Hiking with Crampons?!

Yes, i Could be wrong, but he is going much later than most of the
thruhikers, and unlikely to enter the High Sierras before mid July.  You
will note thatI said not to go on icey snow, but to wait for it to melt.
The corollary would be when the snow is icey and you do not have crampons,
and it is cold and does not melt, RETREAT.  Some years the PCT will be a
climbing experience.  If you want to hike, don't bring crampons, if you
want to climb , bring crampons. (If you are  capable of climbing and have
crampons and your experience tells you to use them , bring them along.)

In August on the PCT, there may be snow.  If there is snow and it is hard
(cold temperatures, early morning, storm), then an ice ax AND Crampons would
be required.

IAM NOT RECOMENDING THAT PEOPLE TRAVEL ON HARD SNOW WITHOUT AN ICE AX AND
CRAMPONS.

 I am saying that in most years and in august the chances of needing
crampons is very small.

I was more concerned that he was planning on covering 1000 miles in 45
days(doesn't leave much leeway for rest or resupply); that coupled with the
inability to evaluate the crampon problem, suggested inexperience.  (Or
strength and experience and lots of fast hiking but not in the Sierras at
altitude or on snow.)

In the end it is impossible to second guess what the conditions in the
sierras will be in July , in August, on every slope exposure, in a storm,
during a cold snap.  It also is not possible to evaluate this persons
conditioning, experience, and judgement.

One of climbing friends use to say: "When the time comes for crampons, the
time comes for crampons."  With any experience, you know that there is no
way around it. Without experience however, you might think there is a way
around it.

Myself - if I was leaving today to start from Campo, I would not take them.
It would be a gamble.

This is some kind of odd - a few posts ago I was admonishing people to be
conservative about the North cascades snow and take an ice ax, and now
apparently I have caused concern by recommending that crampons are unlikely
to be needed in the Sierras in Late July/August.

Is admonishing caution being grouchy.  Over and over the same questions come
up.  Many of these questions originate in an innocence and ignorance that
beggars a way to respond. often the questions ask for a pat quick answer
rather than the background and knowedge needed for judgement that will be
required on the trail.

There can be no recommendation of whether crampons are required or not ;
everybody has to make that judgement themselves ON THE TRAIL, FACED WITH A
REAL LIVE SNOW FIELD. everything else is spectulation.

Goforth