[pct-l] down vs synthetic

I'd echo alot of what Alan said; compressability is truly overrated as a
factor that should influence your purchase.  The only time where it
really comes into play is if you have a tiny pack.  I've done 427 miles
on the PCT with a 1900 c.i. pack, so any pack larger than that should be
planty large enough to carry any sleeping bag synthetic or down.

Now, having said all of that, IMO **there is no comparison to down**.
Down is the absolute warmest material per unit of weight available,
period.  IMO, it is also the most comfortable.  Practically any
synthetic bag that you will find will be heavier than down and likely
not as warm.

If you really want to consider what type of bag impacts the environment
least (and by extension, which bag is less harmful to living creatures),
you may want to consider that **most** sythetic fibers require the use
of petroleum, which is very harmful to the environment.  Support of the
petroleum industry causes tons of terrible chemical pollution every
year, global warming, oil spills that kill all sorts of animals, wars, etc.

In the end, there are no products of any sort that do not exploit he
earth in some way. My recommendation is to go with a down sleeping blanket.

good luck.

peace,
dude