[pct-l] Getting Into Trouble on the Trail

Good evening, all,

This is a good thread because it caused me to pause for a moment and reflect
upon the more-than-a-few times that I've been distressed or at risk in the
wilderness over the last nearly 50 years.   Such a review is about as much
fun as biting on a sore tooth, but it is often necessary if we are to truly
learn from our "experience".

In every instance that I can recall, my conclusion is that I had screwed-up
somehow with poor headwork rather than because of a lack of "things".  Now
days, whenever I approach a potentially troublesome situation I remind
myself of my favorite John Wayne quote and proceed accordingly.

Good judgment doesn't only apply to on-trail situations, it also applies to
the selection of gear at home.  At the recent TrailFest in Portland Glen Van
Peski had a well-reasoned presentation on the ultralite philosophy.  It's
something that I have been doing for years, but his angle was great.  We've
all heard of the unfortunate need for medical triage during some kind of a
disaster, right?  Think of potential wilderness situations the same way:
There are a few bad things out in the wilderness that can kill you no matter
how much gear you carry, so don't spend time worrying about them.  On the
other end of the scale, there are also lots of things that won't kill you
even if you have little, or no, gear.  The eventualities to really consider
are the ones in the middle, the ones that can be directly affected by gear.
For those you provide, not with over-kill, but with just enough to get by.

Ain't dead yet .

Steel-Eye

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne