[pct-l] Oregon questions

I camped at Mazama itself, although this costs money.  I camped with two others, so it was like $5 each.  A friend just stealth camped in the woods, although we were there just before Crater's busy season in early-mid July.

>From Mazama, I hitched up to the rim (long road walk, very small shoulder), although hitching is illegal (ranger told me this and then gave me a ride).  The hike from the rim to Thielson creek is dry.  But, I made Theilson creek around 8 pm, mostly because I lazed about the rim alot.  There is water there and good camping, although I didn't camp there as others were there already. I went another mile or so further on.  I carried something like 6 liters out from Mazama with me and drank most of them.  Note that before you reach Thielson, you reach a road. On the other side, you begin a climb up to a ridge where there is a gorgeous stealth camp with a view of Thielson (you'll know it when you get to it). The big downside is water. However, if I was to do it again, I would totally camp there and just haul the water.

Route finding is easy enough along the rim.  It eventually drops down to a main parking lot and there is a big trail coming out of it. This leads down through some woods and links up with the PCT again. The guidebook is completely sufficient for route finding.  I think I had to look at the maps and directions once or twice, and that was it.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett