[pct-l] RE: Wonderland Trail

Original message:

   >From: Billsuej@aol.com
   >
   >I am contemplating doing the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier this
   >summer, but have had little luck finding a good map such as one for the
Timberline
   >Trail around Mt. Hood.  Any suggestions  ??

Hi!  My son and I hiked the Wonderland Trail last year, and it is fabulous.
We used Green Trail maps, and he also printed one from a software package he
got from REI.  Also, there is a book:  "Discovering the Wonders of the
Wonderland Trail Encircling Mount Rainier" by Bette Filley.  REI sells the
book.  That book was great for our planning, as different sections of the
trail present different challenges.

It would be good to get your permit in plenty of time, and your first choice
may not be what you get, as it is a popular trail.  Contact Mt. Rainier
National Park for that.

As for campsites, I would avoid Mowich Lake if you can.  The campsite area
is a car camp, and it is on gravel.  I set my tent up in the woods behind
the campsite, but the ranger made me move it onto the hard ground.  Most of
the campsites are well-used and dusty or muddy, but the scenery and the
trail itself is so absolutely beautiful that it is worth having to live
within the park regulations.  Some people can get backcountry permits, but
not those who plan to hike the whole trail.  Again, check with the National
Park.  They seem glad to answer questions and were of help to us.

Have a great hike!!!  It is worth it.

Lindy Bakkar
North of Seattle