[pct-l] lost hiker update

Donna,

Along that section of the trail between Pines to Palms and Interstate 10,
there are several areas where people have been known to deviate from the
established route.

1) Cedar Springs Camp back to Trail. - I know of several people who've
attempted a more direct route from the campsite up to the PCT. I believe
there used to be an old trail shown on the map (don't know about the new
guidebooks) though it didn't exist on the ground. The bushwhack up to the
PCT was far more difficult than hiking the mile back to the trail.

2) Side trail up to top of San Jacinto. This is the one time I missed the
PCT and hiked in the wrong direction. I also know of a number of others who
made this mistake.

3) Direct route down to the Snow Creek water pipe. Several people have tried
to avoid the long winding route down to the pipe, which can be seen high up
the mountain. The direct route goes through a number of blind canyons that
can't be seen from above. A number of years ago someone making the direct
attempt had to be helicopter out. I also believe someone died on the attempt
(but my memory maybe suspect).

Others may know of additional locations where hikers have traveled off the
standard PCT tread.

Fallingwater