[pct-l] Snow conditions in Angeles Crest

I hiked up Baden Powell last week on my Section D hike. Going up Baden
Powell on Monday (May 23) afternoon, beginning at 7700 feet snow completely
covered the hill and we went straight up. I had an ice axe and aluminum
10-point crampons on my running shoes. The snow was very soft, and at one
point the snow collapsed under both my feet. I leaned on my axe and sunk the
shaft all the way, hanging from it until I could stomp new footholds. The
two thruhikers I was with (less than half my age) did fine with just
trekking poles. We camped at the junction with the summit trail.

The next morning the crampons were very helpful for the first hour while the
snow was icy. We climbed BP and then followed the ridge west. We did find
bits of trail on the south slopes, but often just walked the ridge. Travel
was easy (for snow travel) until just before Windy Gap. The other guys,
ahead of me, dropped low below Windy Gap on a very steep and crumbling slope
of snow and sand, and then descended a short gully to Hwy 2 at a flowing
creek. It appeared many had made the same route.

We then walked the road west to Cloudburst Summit, skipping Mt. Williamson
to avoid snow we'd been warned about and Cooper Canyon to make up time. We
weren't alone. Some thruhikers hiked the entire road from Vincent Gap and
some took the High Desert Trail. We, like others, figured we at least bagged
BP, being three scouters who'd never been up there before.

AsABat