[pct-l] snow conditions Mineral King

Hi,

I spent the weekend camping near Franklin Lakes. The ranger was a little
reluctant to give us permits, as we were the first ones to try to go up.
Snow patches start at 8000ft and get denser toward 10'000ft. Above that
one has basically winter conditions. Snowbridges cover the stream
completely above 10k and the lakes are covered by ice (about 1-2ft deep
and melting). The southfacing mountain sides are somewhat snow free
between 10k and 12k, but on all other skiing is quite possible.
The pass looks intimidating but doable.

Glissading the way down was big fun. The weather was strange, as we had
periodic white-outs in the afternoon: 100ft visibility for 10 minutes
and then a clear sky again. The snowmelt is strong, but creeks not a big
problem. No luck with catching trout.

Ilja.