[pct-l] Oregon

> I'm planning a hike from Crater Lake to Cascade Locks. I have a couple of
> questions I hope you all can answer.
>
> 1. Will I need any permits for this section?

Self-issued permits at wilderness boundaries will be enough
for almost that entire section. The only exception is the
Obsidian Falls area in the Three Sisters, where special
permisssion is needed to camp overnight. It is quite easy
to avoid camping in the Obsidian area, if you don't care
for the extra hassle of applying for a special permit at
the MacKenzie Ranger station.

> 2. It seems there is quite a long run from Crater Lake to the first water
> north of there. I'm having a little trouble telling exactly how long. Any
> info on how many miles I should plan on for water carrying?

Thielsen Creek is reliable.

> 3. If you could hike it in July, August (after the 15th), or September,
> which month would you pick. I'm going for a very leisurely 15 miles a day.
> The trip is to relax, not make miles.

Most years, August would be your best bet for good weather
and lack of bugs.