From: "Rudolph Duda" <Rud_dud45@hotmail.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:15 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 39

Just wanted to reply to your request to conditions in the Angeles Crest
Mountains. I went thru that area on the PCT on  May 23- 24th with Mike and
Boz. We got a ride to Inspiration Point from Wrightwood and hiked on the PCT
from there to Vincent Gap. We then got off the PCT and did a road walk to
Islip Saddle due to snow conditions on Baden Powell. We had been told that
many thru- hikers had been turned back by the road crews and therefore were
doing the road walk at night. We did not run into any road crew but the road
was covered in snow for about half of the 20 mile stretch, some avalanche
shoots had about 20-25 ft of snow and trees. We spent the night at Eagles
Roost Picnic area and got back on the PCT at that point the next day. We
talked to several thru hikers at Eagles Roost after they got in after dark
who said that Baden-powell was still snowed in.  They had no crampons or ice
axe. One of them said he slid about 300 ft down at one point and was using
his hand and feet to try and stop his descent, to no avail. He slid into a
boulder and his one leg caught on it as his other one went past. It stopped
him before he would have gone over a 1000 ft cliff. He continued on but was
shaken. They all said that navigation was difficult .

>From Eagles Roost Picnic area the PCT was clear of snow.

By the way, I had to get off the PCT at Cloudburst Summit due to a knee
injury. I was lucky to hitch a ride about 40-50 miles from there to Glendale
and just got back to Pittsburgh over the weekend.

Happy Hiking, Rudy [Reindeer]
Message: 7