[pct-l] John Muir Trail starting June 20th

I don't know that anyone on this list has gotten into the back country yet to
have a real look-see, so most of us are just using snow sensor reports and
guess...er, extrapolating from that :-).

What is certain right now is that Hwy 120 to Tuolumne meadow is not open and may
not be open by the time you start. Go to

http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

for progress updates on that. They are reportedly encountering 4-5' of snow on
the road. However, the snow sensor at Tuolumne mdw (8600') is reporting darn
close to 0" of snow as of today (temps have been in the 60s) which is a melt-off
of 3' in 15 days. If the road isn't open at least a few days before you get
there, you won't have a store/grill/PO at Tuolumne mdw because they won't be
open yet.

The sensor at Volcanic Knob (near VVR) at 10,500' is saying 4-6' depending on
the water content of the snow. Crabtree mdw (10,700') is saying 17" of snow. The
general meltoff curve is quite steep right now and we'll know more in a couple
of days when the monthly field surveys are done and reported. And of course, by
June 15 or so you should be able to get an even better idea.

The snow fell in odd patterns this year--though all areas got a lot, some areas
got a lot more than others. Tuolumne mdw seems to have been the lightest hit;
areas farther south seem to have gotten more (very roughly speaking).

The spot everyone usually worries about is Forester Pass -- the snow sensor near
there may not be accurate right now, so it's hard to say what's going on up at
the pass itself. There will shortly be a field report from Bighorn Plateau which
is another place close by, so maybe in a day or two we'll have some idea of how
deep that is. Fortunately for you, that's a couple of week's south, so
conditions should improve, perhaps dramatically, by the time you get there.

Snow sensor reports may be found at:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?tum
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?cbt
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?uty
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryMonthly?s=bgh

(The first one is for Tuolumne mdw, now moot. The second is crabtree, the third
is "upper tyndall" (nearest to Forester Pass) which may well be broken -- it
doesn't seem to be registering all that sensibly. The last is a monthly report
for Bighorn Plateau--the June 1st number should be reported soon).

As far as river heights go, it's tough to say. The good news is that all rivers
that are real rivers (e.g., San Joaquin) have substantial bridges over them so
you *should* be OK on those. The bad news is that a lot of "creeks" may be
rivers when you get there. Evolution Creek would probably be the worst. You are
going to ford a lot of streams, no doubt about it.

Also, the trail goes alongside some creeks that may well be high enough that the
trail itself will be under water. I'm thinking, for example, of one stretch from
Tully Hole south for a mile or so, as well as various places along Bear Creek
(just south of VVR), and probably others (maybe even Lyell canyon?). Generally,
however, the trail is high enough above the creeks that it shouldn't actually be
underwater (under snow, maybe, but not under water).

CDEC (URLs above) also monitors river flows, but I haven't been watching that,
so I can't help you there. Check out their website and you should be able to get
some idea of whether the flows are increasing or decreasing as you near your
departure date.

Finally, there are lots of places that are meadows or sandy basins in the late
summer (but were still damp and spongy when I went through last September after
a fairly light snow year) that will be bogs in June.

Assuming you start in Yosemite Valley (some folks "cheat" by starting from
Tuolumne Meadows), you will see some spectacular waterfalls. If you can (i.e.,
it's open) take the Mist Trail up from the valley to Nevada Falls (it parallels
the JMT and isn't all that much steeper) to get a close-up view of the falls.

--Steve