[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Compression

Tortoise73 wrote: As I recall, compression of synthetic bags is even worse
than down. The
synthetics are not as resilient as good down.

That is very interesting.  I also read somewhere that overtime you compress a
sleeping bag in the normal way in your pack, you lose 2-3% of its loft
permanently.  You slowly crush the life out it.  I do not know if that is true, but
some of the bags I see on the trail make me think it is close to true.  If I
were hiking in a potentially wet environment, I would certainly consider a
synthetic bag.  I really like down.  I might be wrong here, but I prefer 800 down
bags to 900 down bags.  Your bag has to be tied to your metabolism and the
environment.  For years I have been trying to eliminate my sleeping bag and
substitute a clothing option.  I have looked at lots of hybrid bags.  My bottom
line is that for 1.5 pounds just stick with a good 800 down bag.  You are in it
for 8-10 hours per day.  It is not something you want to skimp on and play
around with.

Thanks again, Switchback