[pct-l] sleeping bag

Hi Shawn

After lots of years of Backpacking, I learned something new not too long
ago.

For best warmth from a sleeping bag, do not compress it.  Surprized me.  I
was very proud of how small my sleeping bags were getting especially when I
learned about compression sacks.
Seems the  bags, like a down jacket, use the air inside the fluff of a
loose fill to create the insulating effect.
I since found out, buying a bag, why they come fluffed up in big bulky
storage bags.  Every time a bag is compressed or stored compressed it loses
some ability to refluff and create its full loft potential.
When using the bag a less compacted bag will give more insulation that
night.  To gain more loft, I lay my bag out as soon as I break camp and
give it more time to refluff
.
Another thing, because I follow these principles, I can carry a lighter bag
and get the same warmth of a heavier compressed bag.

PACKING THE BAG was the question?  When packing my pack, I lay it on the
ground shoulder straps down on the ground.  Then I pack all my other gear
but the bag.  I place it all in even height on the strap side of the pack.
The pack is still laying flat on the ground strap side down.  There is lots
of space above it.
Now I can insert my sleeping bag, never in a stuff sack, to take up ALL the
rest of the room.
Not only does this enable me to retain the most loft in the bag, but also
all of the heavier gear, food, and water is pressed against my back for a
much more comfortable hike.  It also holds my gear in place.

But, if you're just looking to take a simple backpack trip without getting
into the obsessive details, PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYTHING I SAID.
Few people do this stuff and no one HAS to.  I am sometimes considered an
obsessive nerd on gear and methods I keep learning about(a lot from this
list and the people on it), methods and gear I develope, and ANYTHING to
make my hike easier.

Hopefully you'll get some more openminded opinions from this list.

Warner Springs Monty