[pct-l] re-entry question ~~ again...

It's cool that you're trying to do the right thing,
but it doesn't matter.  Just hike across the border.
Nobody will see you, nobody will even know.  They're
making it too difficult for you to do everything the
proper way.

This is like the section hikers who want to hike 300
miles of the PCT.  The PCT thru-hiker permit won't
work because it's only for 500+ miles.  So the section
hikers have to jump through all kinds of hoops to find
a bunch of inividual permits.  But what about the
person who intends to thru-hike and quits at Warner
Springs?  He had a 500+ mile permit, but only hiked
100 miles.

Seriously, just hike across the border.  The chances
of you seeing either a Canadian or US border official
are slim to none.

yogi

www.pcthandbook.com

DjgPct@aol.com wrote:

This is a message to any southbounders who are also US citizens.

Sorry for the repeat of this issue, but going through the archives I was not
successful finding the answers to our questions. If it's there, I missed it.

Darrell will finish his NOBO hike this year and plans to spend one or two
nights at Manning Park and then hike back into the US. I am not able to be
there with our truck to pick him up, and he will not be finished hiking. He's
going to continue on via the PNT to the coast, where I will meet him.

I've been on the phone with Canadian officials and entry into Canada will be
easy with the signed entry papers that I printed thanks to this mail list.
But, I've been having difficulty finding the right US customs/immigration
number to call. (I've only found numbers that talk about how to apply for US
citizenship, etc.) I thought that to re-enter the US, one had to use a proper
"port of entry", which the PCT isn't! Searching through the PCT archives,
I've not found info on what folks do to stay on the legal side of this. The
archive post about the showmobilers being fined $5k really caught our attention.

So - to all you southbounders. Are any of you starting at Manning Park?
How are you entering the US. Have any of you contacted immigration to check on
this? Which office did you call? What, if anything, are you all doing on
this issue?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies...

Betsy