[pct-l] DEET alternatives

Jocelyn asked << I also
understand that they are in drier wooded climates, so I am assuming that
they are going to be bad in the Sierra's.
Where are the ticks a problem on the PCT?>>

I've never encountered a tick in the alpine country of the High Sierra PCT
sections.  HOWEVER - ticks abound in the chaparral that the PCT traverses
throughout southern California, particularly during thru-hiker season.  You
might want to search the archives for the "tick" discussions (which have
been many).

My DEET-covered legs and socks remained tick free; on one occasion near
Bouquet Canyon (north of Agua Dulce) I observed other hikers who shunned
DEET (or other remedies) picking literally dozens of ticks from their socks
and shins.  Yish.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94