[pct-l] Re: PCT section questions: Tuolumne to Soda Springs

Sarah, we hiked from Tuolumne to Sonora Pass in July-Aug of 2003, and Sonora
Pass to I80 (past Donner Summit) in July-Aug of 2004. You do have to pay
attention to water. The last 10 miles before Sonora Pass are hot, dry and
spectacular. There is a lake midway if you drop down maybe 500 or 600 feet.

We found the Tuolumne to Sonora section one of the more difficult sections
of the PCT and not wonderful scenery other than the last 10 miles. Also,
definitely the fiercest mosquitos we have encountered. The last 6 or 7 miles
are spectactular. I ran out of film at the start of that area so did an
overnighter the next weekend from Sonora Pass just to photograph it.

The next two sections from Sonora to highway 80 have some great views and
shouldn't be missed. Again, there are some long dry stretches, so check the
data book and make sure you have enough water for the dry stretches. We did
a resupply at Echo Lake. We find that get 3 to 5 miles per liter of water
per person depending on whether it is hot or cool. On top of that, a cooked
meal for the two of us takes 1.5 liters.
--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html