[pct-l] Toxic DEET

I agree with Caryl's observation that sun protective clothing fabric's
weave is so tight that it prevents mosquitoes from poking through.  In
fact, it's sooo tight that the stuff just doesn't BREATHE!!!  When I've
worn this sun protective clothing to guard agains the sun (and the
mosquitoes), I've sweated like a champ -- depleting my precious fluids
way faster than normal.

To guard against all biting bugs and avoid having to apply toxic goop
all over myself day after day on long distance trails, I rely ONLY on
physical barriers.  I wear ultra-lightweight, long-sleeve jacket and
pants, made of highly breathable, uncoated nylon.  The fabric is
bug-proof by construction -- tight weave rather than PU coated -- yet
remains very breathable (far more than that sun protective clothing
fabric).  And when the bugs get really bad, I use a head net and
mitts/tubes of the same uncoated nylon fabric.  I've tried virtually
all bug replellants (including DEET and natural varieties) and for me,
sweating all day as I hike, any chemical barrier is going to degrade
and require constant reapplication.  I just don't have the patience for
this.

I can't bring myself to slather on that toxic goop all day long, day
after day, and then sleep with the stuff on every night.  The stuff
can't be good for you if it can MELT nylon!!!  I've "heard" that
there's been studies done on DEET and that it soaks into your skin,
gets into your blood stream, and has even been found in urine!!

Anyway, this is shared IMHO

md

Caryl Bergeron wrote:
> Last year we discovered, much to our surprise, that the new sun
> protective fabrics seem to have such a tight weave that mosquitos
rarely get
> through.  We always wear long sleeve shirts and long pants for sun
> protection anyway, so the added mosquito protection is just a bonus.
Add a