From: "Sarah" <msarahm@cox.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:31 PM
Subject: [pct-l] PCT section questions: Tuolumne to Soda Springs
(DonnerSummit)

> I apologize if this email comes through twice.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list and looking for some information on the character of
the PCT from Tuolumne Meadows north to the Lake Tahoe area (Pooh's Corner
near Soda Springs).  I've hiked the JMT and various trails between Whitney
and Tuolumne, and last year I did a section of the Sierra High Route north
of Tuolumne to Mono Lakes.

> I'm trying to assess whether I'd prefer to hike this section of the PCT or
do more hiking south of Tuolumne.  From the Tahoe area, I'm thinking of
getting on the Tahoe Rim Trail, and walking clockwise around the lake until
I hit the road to Reno.  From there I'd hope to hitch into Reno and catch a
flight home.  All of this presumes I can hitch a ride to Tuolumne Meadows.
The hike would be in August.

> So, is the PCT from Tuolumne to Soda Springs a must-not-miss stretch of
trail or is it missable?  The Tahoe Rim Trail allows mountain bikes and
equestrians.  Is it a gorgeous walk or a crowded thruway where some
bicyclist is bound to knock me over?  Is water readily available from
Tuolumne to Soda Springs in August?  I know that water will be good up to
Sonora Pass, but I don't have good maps for the next part of the trail yet.