From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of yogi
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:56 AM
To: Brian Weber; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] What I've learned about DEET -- NO!!!

NO!!!  Don't put DEET on nylon clothing!  I've
put it on the shoulders of patagonia shirts, but
don't put it on nylon clothing!  It will eventually
destroy the nylon.

I've noticed after applying DEET if I use my water
filter, the plastic of the filter seems to get sticky,
like it's melting.  The same thing for my walkman.

Keep DEET away from rain gear, too.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Brian Weber <pies_con_queso@yahoo.com> wrote:
I've learned the most effective use of 100% DEET is to spray your clothes.
That way, it doesn't absorb into skin or evaporate with sweat. It's the
aroma that keeps the bugs away, so by having a few dots of DEET on your
shirt & shorts will create a very effective repelling aroma.

Try one spray on/near each shoulder and on each pantleg between the hip and
knee. Spray the back of your shirt near the collar (protects the back of
your neck) and if it's really swampy or muggy, spray the tops of your shoes
(to keep them off your legs).