[pct-l] Deet quantities

Interesting!  The next time I hike, I'll try it!

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Jerry Goller <jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org> wrote:
Well, we reviewed it on BGT....of course... ;o) The two we worked with
are Sawyer Controlled Release and 3M Ultrathon.
To shorten a long story, the military proved that anything over about 30%
was wasted. The reason that 100% seems to work better is that it can take
more degradation and still be above 30%. Your sweat, among other things,
causes the degradation. The controlled release stuff encapsulates the DEET.
The encapsulating molecules break down at different rates causing the
controlled release.

It not only works better it is also much more comfortable to wear. And it
works.

Jerry

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the

_____