Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:55:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shutterbug steiner <shutterbugg313@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] MISSING HIKER -- INFORMATION
SOUGHT
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com, pct
<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

I was at the Pines to Palms highway on May 1st and
there was a Mormon
guy and Meadow Mary feeding the hikers.  There was two
guys that were
hiking together and the one was from Northern
California and was a
section hiker.  His wife was picking him up in Anza
Sunday afternoon.  The
other guy (whom I suppose is our missing person) was
looking for  a ride
to Anza to pick up his package Monday AM and if my
memory holds me
correctly had every intention of  continuing his hike
through section B and
beyond on Monday.  When I left Palms to Pines Hiway he
was asking
around for a ride and asking where camping
places/laundry in town might be.
He had no intention that I know of going to Northern
Cal with his
hiking partner.  His hiking partner was a retired fire
fighter and I
remember this guy had hiked the AT and was from back
East, had just retired,
was of high spirits and seemed very knowledgeable- but
did not have
Snow gear - ie ice axe.  He did make a comment that he
would miss hi
 partner who had a GPS and had all the maps and guides
so uncertain
whether just was commenting about the GPS or if he had
guides and maps of
his own.  I do not remember the trail names - I think
the names were
not established permanently. There was another GUY
"Berkley" who was a
teacher at Berkley who was also waiting for his wife
to pick him up at
Palms to Pines.  Cypress, Yogi sez, Green Jeans,
Country Boy, Smiley, etc
hiked through that area that day too and are now in
Aqua Dulce or near.
I did not see him in Idlewild and spent a long day
there on Tuesday.  I
iwll check the log in at the Cajon Pass this
afternoon.

Duane-shutterbugg