[pct-l] MISSING HIKER -- INFORMATION SOUGHT

I was at the Pines to Palms highway on May 1st and there was a Mormon guy and Meadow Mary feeding the hikers.  There was two guys that were hiking together and the one was from Northern California and was a section hiker.  His wife was picking him up in Anza Sunday afternoon.  The other guy (whom I suppose is our missing person) was looking for  a ride to Anza to pick up his package Monday AM and if my memory holds me correctly had every intention of  continuing his hike through section B and beyond on Monday.  When I left Palms to Pines Hiway he was asking around for a ride and asking where camping places/laundry in town might be.  He had no intention that I know of going to Northern Cal with his hiking partner.  His hiking partner was a retired fire fighter and I remember this guy had hiked the AT and was from back East, had just retired,  was of high spirits and seemed very knowledgeable- but did not have Snow gear - ie ice axe.  He did make a comment that he would miss his
 partner who had a GPS and had all the maps and guides so uncertain whether just was commenting about the GPS or if he had guides and maps of his own.  I do not remember the trail names - I think the names were not established permanently. There was another GUY "Berkley" who was a teacher at Berkley who was also waiting for his wife to pick him up at Palms to Pines.  Cypress, Yogi sez, Green Jeans, Country Boy, Smiley, etc  hiked through that area that day too and are now in Aqua Dulce or near.  I did not see him in Idlewild and spent a long day there on Tuesday.  I iwll check the log in at the Cajon Pass this afternoon.

Duane-shutterbugg

dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:
A 60 year old hiker named John Donovan from Virginia is missing. His trail name
is unknown, but he does have one. His last confirmed location was May 2 at the
Anza Post Office, where he picked up his boxes and signed the PCT register. He
did not pick up his boxes at Cabazon, Big Bear, or Agua Dulce. Mr. Donovan has
completed the AT, and is an active member of a local hiking club. It is his nature
to stay in contact with friends in his hiking club, and he has not contacted them.

There is a faint glimmer of hope in that Mr. Donovan's schedule showed that he would
be staying with "cousins" when he reached Wrightwood. No other information
is known about the cousins and if he might be with them. However, Mr. Donovan is
also well aware that his friends back home in Virginia are watching his progress
and concerned about him, and they indicate it would be very uncharacteristic of
him not to let them know he was okay. Perhaps the Wrightwood network of supporters
could check their local registers and ask around to see if he might be there.

Needless to say, in between Anza and Cabazon lies the San Jacintos and Fuller Ridge,
which is the jurisdiction of the Riverside County Sheriffs. They have been notified
of Mr. Donovan's disappearance. Their plans to locate him are unknown at this time.

Any information about Mr. Donovan's whereabouts will be appreciated. Please pass
this message along to anyone you think might have information, and let me know their
contact information. I will provide updates as available, including official agency
contact information if/when it becomes available.

L-Rod
aka Donna Saufley