[pct-l] SoBo side trips

The second question just regards little side excursions.  We aren't
too intent on following the PCT mile for mile and we're willing to go
off trail if the destination is beautiful enough....
Right off the starting line, you might consider making a day trip on
the PCT northbound up into the Desolation Wilderness to look around.
Very different from the Echo Lake surroundings if you've never been
there. No permit needed for a day trip.

As you head up Lyell Canyon toward Donohue Pass, a side trip cross
country up the to glacier might be a nice diversion. One caution tho: I
camped at the head of the canyon just below the pass and woke with
about a half an inch of ice in my water bottle. That was July 4 in an
avarage year.
On your way down, you might think about taking the JMT southbound from
1000 Islands Lake, at the PCT junction at the lake outlet. It rejoins
the PCT at Devils Postpile NM. Half a dozen little lakes you'd miss on
the PCT.

Mo Jo