[pct-l] Re: sandals

>Switchback has got me going with the sandal thing.  In a quick search of
>the REI website I found >these models that are similar to the Bite Sandals
>with the rubber protective toebox.

My experience is that having a protective toebox on your sandals is not
important on the PCT or when hiking anywhere out west. I have been very
happy with Chacos. A lot of other hikers I have seen have been happy with
other similar but less expensive and probably less durable sandals.
What I like about the Chacos is the great footbed that provides the same
support I'm used to getting with Superfeet, and the fact that they are
available in a wide width.

The extension of the rigid sole of the Chacos protects my toes even better
than the less rigid front of running shoes.
I do not, however, recommend these sandals for hiking in the east. Too many
roots. The front of the sandal goes under the root and my toes are jammed up
against the root. Ouch. --David