[pct-l] Re: Dog Food

Hello Jo and other dog-loving hikers,

I would definitely recommend feeding a freeze-dried food, as it is by far
the lightest for its nutritional content. I usually feed Nature's Variety
Prairie Freeze Dried Food to my dog whenever I go hiking. You would probably
want to transition your dog to this type of food gradually, though, if he is
used to regular dry dog food. N-R-G also has a dehydrated food that is
light, though not nearly as light as the freeze dried. These foods aren't
cheap, because unlike most dog food, they are actually made with human grade
ingredients. It sounds like you really want the best for your dog, though.

If you do decide to go with a normal dog kibble, I would make sure you buy
one that also is made with human grade ingredients, and definitely without
any by-products whatsoever, fillers such as corn meal, or any ingredients
with a generic names like "animal fat". This would put all grocery store dog
foods, and many veterinarian foods (especially anything made by Hill's like
Science Diet, which is notorious for its poor quality ingredients) out of
the picture. With the physical stress of hiking, he'll need the high quality
nutrients. You might also want to supplement with a some sort of Omega-3 oil
beforehand to help keep his joints healthy.

Here is link is to an article about dog food at a store that has links to
the freeze dried and dehydrated foods:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Articles.asp?ID=108

Feel free to contact me with any other questions and I hope this helped
some!

Regards,
Erin & Kosmic