[pct-l] Trail Conditions Update - Palms-to-Pines to Highway 18

Jewel Thief and myself successfully climbed San Jacinto and crossed Fuller Ridge on Friday, May 13. There was still about 60% snow coverage at saddle junction. The switchbacks on the South facing slope just North of Saddle junction were clear of snow. At 9000' everything was completely snowbound and we used ice axes and in-step crampons from that point forward.

We left Saddle Junction at 8am. We followed the PCT until approximately the junction with the Wellmans Cienaga Trail. The climb up to the top of San Jacinto, roughly following the Wellmans Cienaga Trail, took us until 1pm. Most of the hiking was on well packed snow with almost no postholeing - even though the temperature was 70 degrees.

We decended the peak and rejoined the PCT just South of Fuller Ridge at approximately 8500'. The South facing slopes of fuller below 8500' were mostly clear of snow, but looking South the PCT appeared to still be completely snowbound. The North facing slopes of Fuller Ridge were snowbound below 8000'. Even so, we were able to mostly follow the trail until Castle Rocks. After Castle Rocks we lost the trail completely and had to find our own route to Black Mtn Rd. After Black Mtn Rd., very little snow was encountered. We completed our long day at 7:30 pm at Black Mtn Group Camp.

The views from San Jacinto were spectacular, but I still do not recommend that anyone attempt the trail without either ice axe or crampons and strong map reading and navigational skills as most of the time there is no trail to follow.

The San Bernadinos had patches of snow on North facing slopes above 8000'. However no snow gear was required and the trail was extremely easy to follow.

Water Information Updates:
190.4 - 205.6   North of San Jacinto we found water in at least 3 places on the descent from Fuller Ridge.

212 - Cottonwood Creek was dry.

After catching the midnight Star Wars showing in Big Bear tonight, Jewel Thief and I plan on hiking out tomorrow. We should arrive in Agua Dulce on May 26 or 27.

Piper