[pct-l] Baden Powell/Wrightwood conditions

Right Dave
Just west of Islip Saddle is no good.
I roadwalked southbound through the two tunnels next to it.  Other than
that the trail worked well for me.
On the South Fork.  Beautiful, I mean really nice 5 mile canyon, white
water below, no snow, saves miles, water on the trail, I loved it.

Tough part was connecting the Manzanita and South Fork junction. Vague.
After 5+ miles(NOBOs) on the Mazanita/High Dessert Trail, turn left/north
at the grey rocky campground before the river.  Very first left on the
campground road.  Follow it up the river direction past where you walk in
the river 50-100 feet (shallow) where there's a little trail washout. 5++
miles uphill.

Monty

(Michele, thanks for the granola bar.)

Baden
> Powel; this is what we took. There were 2 other sets of footprints both
> ascending and descending.
>
> 3) This slope is relatively exposed; we were using 6 point crampons (not
> insteps) which cover the whole front of the foot. We also used ice axes,
and
> at times were close to the limit where we felt comfortable unroped (ie if
> we'd had a rope we wouldn't have used it, but if the slope had steepened
> 5-10deg we would have).
>
> 4) At 7700ft the gradient drops to a comfortable 25 degrees or so, the
> opened out and it was a nice fast ascent - 3hrs from Vincent gap to
summit.
> At summit the monument is not visible.
>
> 5) We followed the ridge from Baden Powell over Burnham, Throop and
Hawkins
> - this isn't the true PCT; we were just above it. Beware of the cornices;
> some break lines were at least 12 feet back from the edge. Following the
> true PCT 100ft below the ridge would be much less scenic and misses all
the
> summits. 6hrs from Baden Powell summit to Little Jimmy. At Windy gap the
> trail sporadically reappeared.
>
> 6) We spent the night at little Jimmy. There were fresh adult & cub bear
> tracks in the morning near the camp. We've already heard of other hikers
(at
> South Forks camp on the alternate route) having bears in camp. We've been
> hanging our food since Wrightwood.
>
> 7) At little Jimmy there is so much snow that the outhouses are
completely
> buried. You can walk over the roof and not realise, until you see 2
inches
> of the roof poking through the snow. I guess that means 8-10 feet of
> consolidated snow at 7500 feet.
>
> 8) After little jimmy we followed the PCT until 0.2 miles from Islip
saddle
> where it disappeared under a huge avalanche. I suspect that when the snow
> melts there may not be a PCT underneath any more. We couldn't find the
exit
> from this avalanche and descended it to Hwy 2 and roadwalked the last 4
> minutes :-)
>
> Hope this is of use to people; I've cc'd it to Jack Cain at the
Wrightwood