[pct-l] Mini Flip?

Tinker and Sage,

We also had hoped to start at Castle Crags around mid June and head north from there to finish our thru-hike that was interrupted last summer.  Unfortunately the May 1 snow survey from Klamath NFS shows snow levels are running somewhat above normal for 5 out of 4 points measured within 1/2 mile of the PCT.

Here's the reply from the Klamath ranger:

> My best estimate to when the trail will be snow free would be late July,
> early August.  Of course this is weather dependent, and there may still be
> some lingering snow fields on the north facing slopes.  But I would think
> by the end of July and beginning of August the snow should be off.

If you wan tot go in June he says to be prepared for the worst, this means ice axes, crampons, etc.

We also are trying to get info on snow levels further north.  Folks at the Winema NFS sent this:

> The segment of the trail that we are responsible for
> goes from Highway 140 to the southern boundary of Crater Lake National Park.
> Typically, the section of trail that passes over Devils Peak is snowed in
> until the first part of July.  It is too early to predict how quickly things
> will melt out this year; so far our trailheads are still inaccessible
> so we haven't been into the back country yet.

In Crater Lake NP we do know that the road is already plowed past Rim Village up to Discovery Point.  They sent this reply to my query:

> Looking at a trail update from 2003:
>
> The PCT from Hwy 62 to Lightening Springs trail is hikeable as is Dutton
> Creek trail.  The Dutton Creek campsites are useable. (July 1, 2003).
>
> So, there is a range, depending on how much snow we've gotten. This year is
> a bit below normal, so may be an earlier year than some. You would not need
> ice axes and crampons as there is no real climbing on this route; you would
> be okay postholing and with trekking poles.

Finally, further north in Wilamette NFS near Mt. Hood, rangers are saying:

>I can only address the PCT North of Hwy 20 to Britenbush Lake (MT. Hood NF Boundary).
> The only area that you may encounter deep drifts would be Jefferson Park and North to Park Ridge.

It has been snowing up there still.  So it looks like melt-off is late.  JoAnn tells us that the recent storms have dropped snow levels down to the 4500 to 5000 ft level.  So we're kind of in the same dilema as you, we want to get going as soon as possible, but this snow thing just doesn't seem to stop.

We're currently thinking the best bet may be to start at Ashland and then take the lower, more easterly alternate routes mentioned in the guide book.

Has anyone been out there recently or have a feel for snow levels in that region?

Caryl

Yahoo! Mail