[pct-l] "Sustainable" Food Drops

> Does anyone know of any work done in the past to create a network of food
> drops from local Co-Ops and farmers along the PCT...

I know of no such efforts. I would be surprised if such existed.

The PCT is located in highly mountainous areas, usually on
public lands. It is rocky. It runs through deserts, forests and
true wilderness. One of the upshots of this fact is that there
are not a lot of farms in the near locality of the PCT. There
are not a lot of towns near the PCT. Shoot, there aren't even
many villages of *any* size near the PCT. That is probably
why your query was met by incomprehension.

The cities nearest the PCT that are likely to have food
co-ops or local farmers engaged in CSAs or similar
enterprises are not exactly "near", but 50 to 100 miles
away. And they won't be familiar with the needs of
long-distance hikers, or the mechanics of food drops.
(You might have some luck in Ashland, OR.)

Admirable as your intentions are, they do not seem very
practical. You might want to consider compromising on
the shipping distance, by accumulating your food from
a co-op or local farm in one locality, then mailing your
drops from that place to the various POs along the
PCT. The mail truck would be going there anyway.

If you do pursue this effort in the form your propose,
I wish you luck. You'll be starting from scratch, most
likely.

Brian Mclaughlin