[pct-l]pct permit ?

If you flip flop do you need to change your permit? I've been sectioning the
pct southbound and in order my starting point this year would be Old Station
in late July. With the snow levels and the fact i'll be hiking alone and
with limited snow experience i may  start nobo at Kennedy Meadows. That way
weather permiting I could at least follow the path of the hardier before me.
Last year i was late requesting my permit and had to have it mailed to
Ashland. So this year i requested early. And with current snows i may have
to change plans and go hike another trail at the last minute.
Will the rangers in the Sierra have a fit and require me to turn around and
go the other way or let it slide? I know that depends on the ranger. But i
thought i'd throw the question out there.