[pct-l] JMT Questions

> 1) I've always used PolarPure iodine water treatment, though I've
> heard that Cryptosporidium is more of a problem out west. Any thoughts
> on the safety of using iodine on the JMT?

I've done the JMT twice using no water treatment, and once using Iodine
tablets with no problems.  I've hiked 100's of miles in Yosemite using
Iodine with no problems.  I've hiked in the Sierra north of Yosemite
using Iodine with no problems.  I don't think you'll have any problem
using Iodine.  In fact, there have been studies that show that the
water in the Sierra is extremely clean.

> 2) Say I wanted to get on the trail a day earlier than I had
> originally planned (i.e. a day before my permit says I can be there).
> Just how much trouble would I be likely to meet from Yosemite rangers?

This is a bad plan.  The first section of the JMT is perhaps the most
heavily monitored section of the JMT outside the Whitney summit area.
I've been on that section of trail perhaps a dozen times, and probably
seen a ranger on that section more than half the time.

One option that you may have is to just hike that section between
Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows during the day when no permit is
needed.  The distance between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows is
27 miles, so its doable in one day if you really hump it and don't mess
around.

peace,
dude